Methodism began in Hickling in 1834 and by there were 14 members
In 1879 the membership had increased to 70.
In 1844 they built their first Chapel in Stubb Road, costing £183.00
now a, private residence known as The Old Chapel House. Prior to this
building, they held their meetings in each other's houses much like
the early Christians had done.
The Wesleyans built their Chapel in Stalham Road and is still there
today, a dwelling called Cartref.
The Primitive Methodists were missioned from Great Yarmouth in 1834
and became a part of the Yarmouth circuit, the Wesleyans as part of
the Cromer North Walsham circuit.
Both societies built new chapels the Primitives in 1882 and the Wesleyan
in 1883 each costing £500,00 the schoolrooms were added later.
After the deed of Union the Wesleyan Chapel was no longer required and
has been demolished.
Lay preachers came from all over the area, to conduct services in their
respective Churches, walking many miles even as far as from Gt. Yarmouth
Much has changed in Hickling since those early days, but the Methodists
still maintain a congregation of about 30